Plants for student digs
Top plants that every student accomodation should have.
And plants anyone can keep alive without compromising your social life.
Whether you’re off to Hogworts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry or Colchester University, moving away from home and into Halls can be a little emotional. So to make your dorm feel a bit more homely I’d highly recommend getting a few plants, but ones you know will tollerate a little forgetfulness. It’s going to be a busy time after all.
Good reasons for keeping plants
- Plants in the home will improve the air quality, and healthier air stimulates the body and the mind.
- Watching your houseplants grow will give you a sense of achievement, a good positive feeling that will influence all aspects of your life.
- Houseplants make the place look good. just check out some interior design stuff on Pinterest and you’ll generally find a plant in there somewhere.
- They can be somewhere to hang small LED lights for parties, or just a bit of clever ambient lighting, essential for any evening soirée. More Mojitos anyone 😉
- Houseplants provide a great background for those stylish home selfies. Proving you have interests in nature and a healthy lifestyle.
Here’s my top list of forgiving plants to keep in any home, not just the student digs.
You can find fresh mint in the supermarkets, just pot on and keep it on the windowsill or on the balcony. It will just keep on growing.
Mint – For a Mojito cocktail flourish, a pot of tea and occasional garnish for the endless supply of baked potatoes, not forgetting a quick nibble when there’s no time to brush when that special someone comes a calling. Carrots are also rather good for that one when you’ve got coffee breath. Try it.
Depending on the size of your pot, this is a super easy plant to grow and grow and grow. Looks great with the sun shining through the leaves.
Mini Cacti come in all shapes and sizes. It’s so easy to look after these tiny friends. You may even get rewarded with a flower one day.
Succulents come in all shapes and sizes, love dry gravely conditions and can be propagated from just a leaf. They could almost be considered pets. You can easily buy them online.
There are all sorts of cosmetic and healing lotions and potions derived from Aloe Vera. Best known for treating sun burn and healing skin. Do the research though.
House Plant Inspiration and Ideas
For a full gallery featuring these and other fun and groovy carefree plants, please visit my pinterest board.
Subscribe for more info from A Greener Life UK here